There are some animal advocates who are committed to creating a No Kill Nation so shelters and communities jump on board. Creativity and imagination plus persistence and willingness to save lives against the odds are making this dream come true in various communities around the USA. Make the story of Rockwall or Austin, the story of your community… (click on the pdf link at the end of the No Kill blog, link below)…
Read this inspirational story about two naive people in Texas who built a compassionate and humane empire with a grassroots group of volunteers… the staff of the shelter were committed to laziness. Hard to imagine for people who love animals, but the staff kill animals because they do not want to work hard. Obviously, people like this DO NOT BELONG and should NOT work at any animal shelter. Another obstacle to NO KILL but don’t know how it works, is IF dead animal bodies have value, are sold by shelters to rendering plants who grind them up to put into name brand dog and cat food (does anyone know how this works?) then shelters may want to or could be addicted to that revenue stream. UGH… But Pam and Michael did NOT accept the staff’s excuses. Due to their efforts, the shelter had a stunning 97% rate of lifesaving for one of the busiest months of the year, an August to remember.
Other model programs:
Save a life.. get a Muttigree
1. Get a magic bus
what if each of the Patrick movement pages people got together and raised funds for a magic bus, called for volunteers and animal rescue groups to travel to places where animals are in high kill shelters, even in another state, on a regular basis, once a month? quarterly? and bring 100 animals to where they can be adopted/fostered???
Be inspired by the Muttshack Bus adventures
2. A Picture is worth a 1000 words
this is fantastic !!!! save shelter dogs just by changing adoption photos, wow…photographers could partner up with their local shelter and do the animals a great service like this woman…
3. Creative adoption practices
support your local shelters in teaming up with pet stores to do adoption events, bring animals inside store, and show customers how great these animals are, do local publicity for the events and more
4. Create fun adoption videos
that make people smile, entertain and want to adopt pound pups and kitties
5. Coordinate low cost and free spay/neuter clinics, and educate the public about the HIGH COST of leaving their pets intact…
6. Educate the public about puppy mills, shut down the breeders of puppy mills, and make puppy mills illegal in all 50 states
7. Make ZERO tolerance the rule of the land for animal abusers, animal cruelty including dog fighters
8. Fame When celebrities and others with means are willing to save/rescue, they make a big difference in terms of publicity, education and taking care of animals
9. It’s Me and the Dog When dogs in shelters are socialized, trained, and live in human-like dwellings, the easier it is to adopt them (less behavioral problems/issues)
10. Make it EASY to adopt by going where the people are so that they’ll get to know shelter animals rather than shop at breeders or for puppy mill animals at pet stores
And when you shop… Adoptashelter.com … support your local No Kill shelter/animal rescue group !