Cici and I have put our heads together and come up with an eco-friendly (green) tour of Mendocino, California …
Mendocino County is clearly one of the eco friendliest places in California and this list has a little something for everyone.
Visit each Website for more eco friendly info. Bring your best friend with you because all of these inns are also dog friendly.
Start your eco friendly tour of Mendocino in Hopland… and tour the Solar Living Center and Real Goods… see solar power in action….
Then stay at one or more of these eco friendly/green inns…
1. Inn at Schoolhouse Creek, Little River http://www.schoolhousecreek.com/
Innkeepers Steven and Maureen made eco friendly changes when they bought the Inn:
converted to all Seventh Generation paper products
converted to all natural biodegradable cleaning and laundry products
installed low water washering machines
converted all in house ingredients to organic where possible / available
planted an organic garden to supply kitchen in season
started composting all organic kitchen waste
put recycling containers in all rooms
built spa with green design – yurt- composting toilet – bamboo flooring
instituted the reuse your towels / sheets program and put cards in the rooms
pay housekeepers to ride share
2. Stanford Inn, Mendocino
stanfordinn.com (extremely animal friendly with dogs, cats, llamas and other animals on site, gourmet vegan cuisine, and utilize nontoxic cleaning products)
3. MacCallum House, Mendocino http://www.maccallumhouse.com/pages/mendocino_wellnesss_retreat.html check out their wellness retreat and enjoy the clean air, beautiful gardens, spa and pure water
Also check out their Green News: http://www.maccallumhouse.com/pages/green_news.html
Pioneer seasonal menus featuring local organic produce, dairy and grains for the past 2 decades from local purveyors.
Compost all food waste.
100% recycling of plastics and glass bottles.
All paper used in the hotel and office are from recycled sources whenever possible.
All in-room shampoo, conditioner and lotion in reusable pump bottles made from recycled plastics.
All outdoor bulbs changed to CFL and many indoor, as well.
All laundry detergent, fabric softener, brightener and air deodorizer from Ecover.com and Vaska.com, environmentally friendly and biodegradable
All paint used on property is water soluble.
All water served to guests run through charcoal filter.
Employee education and ‘go green contest’
In the pipeline: low flow shower heads and in-room energy control units.
Starting in 2006, changed the coffee supply in the US, moving to higher quality produce from growers who work under the Rainforest Alliance umbrella. The Alliance looks to protect ecosystems and the people and wildlife that depend on them by safeguarding the rights and well-being of workers, conserving resources and protecting the environment.
4. Shambhala, Ukiah http://www.shambhalaranch.com (off-grid solar powered, nontoxic cleaning products from Young Living)
5. Living Light Inn, Fort Bragg rawfoodchef.com (All the rooms are outfitted with organic bedding and linens. The water in the building is filtered, including the water you bathe in, with a special reverse osmosis filtration system in the kitchen. The cleaning products are vegan, non-toxic, and biodegradable. Living Light Inn also recycles and composts waste. All of the rooms have windows that open, with lots of fresh air and self controlled heat)
6. Pacific Mist Inn Bungalows, drive electric vehicles and use nontoxic cleaning products
7. Cottages at Little River http://www.cottagesatlittlerivercove.com/packages.php the new manager Kelly is now utilizing nontoxic cleaning products and amenities. Check out their spa package…
How to find authentic eco-friendly/green hotel accommodations…