sorry for the very very very short notice, just got the info…
John Steinbeck wrote:
“I’ve seen a look in dogs’ eyes, a quickly vanishing look of amazed contempt, and I am convinced that basically dogs think humans are nuts.”
Steinbeck himself drove from Maine to California in an elaborately outfitted vehicle with his dog; their journey is recounted in the book Travels with Charley. Not every dog lover can have a mega-van built for travels with his or her canine companion, but an increasing number of vacation spots are geared towards people who want to take dog-inclusive trips.
In honor of John Steinbeck’s Travel with Charley, The National Steinbeck Center Executive Director Colleen Bailey invites you to write an essay about your favorite journey with your dog. The essay must be focused on traveling with your dog. There will be two categories for essay: one winner for the best domestic travel story and the second winner will be for the best international travel story. You can submit photos of you and your pet form the journey with the essay. Winners will receive a $100 PetCo gift certificate and a membership to the National Steinbeck Center .
Essay contest rules:
- Contest dates: from July 1st – July 31st.
- Essays cannot exceed 300 words.
- Essays will be judged on the most Steinbeckian journey.
- Essays are judged by a local journalist and dog enthusiasts.
- Essays are due via email no later than 5:00 p.m. on July 31st, 2010.
- Winners will be announced during the National Steinbeck Center Festival Travels with Charley Dog Look-Alike Contest on Saturday, August 7th between 1:30 p.m. – 2:30 p.m.
- Need not be present to win.
- All essays must be submitted with first name, last name, email address and phone number.
Please send all essays to Marci Bracco at firstname.lastname@example.org no later then July 31st.